Monday, May 2, 2011

Obedience

Add caption

Come here Chivo,” I called, sweetly encouraging him.  Chivo fell down, twisted around, yelped and whined, bewildered about the pressure he was feeling. I was trying to teach Chivo to lead by using gentle, steady pressure, and taking him exactly where he wanted to go anyway– his feed bowl.  But he didn’t understand, and he tried tirelessly to yank himself away!
Chivo was a puppy that would grow up to be a guardian dog for my goats.  His job would be to protect my ‘kids’ from predators.  He would be a large, strong dog, who would work independently, but he had to learn basic obedience so that I could intervene when needed, and take care things. 
As Chivo tried to wrench away from me, causing himself more pain than necessary, I realized that I was like him in many ways.  God has called me most of my life…gently, steadily, and sweetly, but like Chivo, I pulled away.  I relied on my own independence, and strength.  Even when things may have seemed fine to others, I often ‘fell down’, crying, bewildered about life!  My insistence on handling things my way made life much harder than it had to be.  
Thankfully, I finally surrendered to my Master.  The obedience that God is teaching me allows me to go to places of love, grace, and beauty.  Places that I always wanted to go anyway, but didn’t know how to find.  That obedience teaches me to let God intervene to take care of the multitude of things that I cannot.  Following my Father is the only thing that can truly keep me safe and make me happy.
Prayer:  Father, thank you for your guidance in navigating this world.  I don’t always willingly follow Your ways, but I am always glad when I do! 
Bible Verse:  But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.  Luke 11:28 (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment