Friday, April 19, 2019

Can I Please Have Your Hair?

I'm very grateful to be able to say that my cancer journey is over! I'm done with the chemo, radiation, and surgery, and am gaining strength daily! But there are still a few loose ends that need to be tied up. The main one being hair! I've been hairless for a year and a half, and though my hair is 3 inches long now, I feel self-conscious walking around with a 'burr' haircut! As I lay in bed the other night, thinking about my hair dilemma, I remembered seeing a YouTube video on headband bangs many months before. I Realized that if I just had some bangs, I'd be ok with my little short nubs! The more I thought about it the more I realized that I HAD to have some hair and I needed it NOW! In just two days, my husband and I were planning to go to a formal dance. It had been a long time since we'd gone out. The treatment and related side effects had sapped my strength, and my required daily activities took everything I had. It'd been a long time since we'd been able to have a little fun! I longed to have hair for the dance!! There was no hope of finding extensions in the remote area we live in and there was no time to order anything. Besides the hair that was growing out, was an odd mixture of colors that would've been extremely difficult to match! So after some deep thought, I decided my only option was to MAKE headband bangs. So I called a few beauty shops in the area and asked if they could save some hair after a haircut for me. I estimated that I needed somewhere between 5 to 8 inches. When I explained my situation, the beauticians were eager to help, but said that it is unusual for anyone to get that much hair cut off, and it was Easter weekend, so most shops would be closed!
One of the ladies though, suggested that I make a post on social media. I thanked her politely, but hung up, disappointed, thinking I'd have to ditch my plan because I was just too embarrassed to make the post. What would I say anyway? "Can I please have your hair?" But, I guess desperate times call for desperate measures. After some serious thought, I decided that everyone who knows me, suspects I'm a little bit crazy. I decided I would just confirm their suspicions! So before I could change my mind, I made the post. Within 10 MINUTES I had 3 offers! One from a little girl with beautiful, thick, black hair. Another from a friend who is about my age who had a mix of brown and gray hair. The last offer was a wiglet from a teen who lived nearby. I was amazed and floored by the generosity of my little community. I went to talk to the little girl and her mother, and they told me that she had donated to Locks of Love before and she would happily give me her hair. Problem is that her hair was very dark, and I didn't really think I could lighten it up enough to blend with my cinnamon and sugar stubbs. Then I went to see my friend, Gloria. It turned out that her hair was very similar to mine. We visited for a while, and during our visit, she realized that I was anxious to start my project. So she said, "Have you ever cut hair before?" I assured her that I was the family beautician, and I had cut everyone's hair, including my own, many, many, times throughout the years. I may have omitted the fact that my haircuts were never terribly appreciated, but nonetheless I did have experience! So, then and there, we cut her hair! Unbelieveable! I posted at 5:30, and before the night was over, I had real human hair that matched my own! I am astounded by the kindness of those around me and my heart is brimming with love and joy right now! There is a beautiful verse that comes to mind as I consider the sweetness that was shown me. The verse is 1 Cor. 1:1-3. If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Thank you my friends for showing me that love!!!!! (The picture above shows me with my new bangs. I was very happy with how they turned out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment